Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Ubiquity and Mobility

I'm typing on my iPhone again, and I'm thinking about the state of the mobile computing experience. I see one person in my class using a laptop, and there's a girl texting on her Blackberry and another on some flip phone. (It's a pretty boring class, IMO). But the thing I was thinking about, and wanted to mention, is the key difference between using a laptop versus a mobile phone in this context.

Even the most advanced phones have various disadvantages in comparison to the laptop... a smaller keyboard, or inability to run multiple applications simultaneously. Phones however have a potential advantage here, but it's not fully realized: the relative availability of radio signal - useful for various communication, as well as the less conspicuous form-factor.

I can't wait until using my phone is as fun - and as productive - as using my laptop. Because then, I could work anywhere, coveniently.

blog comments powered by Disqus